Blades of Ascension

Enemy Health Bar

Hanataro

Enemy Health Bar

Postby Hanataro » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:23 am

Here's another saved post from the old forums:

Welcome! ;)

We all know about health bars..
We all use them to calculate the amount of oomph still needed to down the persistent monsters that refuse to be OHKO'd.

Why do we know how much health a monster we've never before encounters before has, though?

I'd like to suggest that in B.O.A. we simply don't.

Imagine yourself exploring an uncharted dungeon and stumbling upon a monster you have never seen before.

You see it's full health bar and it's aggressive stance and can assume that it's completely fit - maybe even curse for a second, because you don't know it's relative strength, before you have to enter the fight.

As you continue to slash at the monster, you notice that it's slowly tiring, becoming either hesitant or desperate (as according to it's nature). Checking the health bar, though, you can't see a thing - it's become greyed out. (Thankfully it's no mid-boss, though you'd have noticed by it's name and the additional health bar..)

Finally, after many a hard minute you finally defeat the monster - it's collapsing and soon bursts into particles.

Relieved you continue on.

As you continue through the dungeon, you stumble upon even more of this type of monster and you are confident that you can take them on.

As they continue to fall to your sword, you notice their mannerisms, get a grip on their behaviour - you start being able to judge their remaining health; the health bar is either a dark green, yellow or red.

Finally, after killing more than a hundred of them, you are an expert judge on this monster type's health - you see the health bar in all it's splendour.

As you congratulate yourself, though, you stumble upon yet another unknown enemy - beware, who knows how hard it'll be to take down..

Yeah, I'm a fan of working for the knowledge you need to survive in the wilderness. :)

This concept would get somewhat more complicated if you are in a group - maybe you'd have to be able to judge your comrade's strength in order to guess at the amount of hurt he put upon your enemy? - but I think it would make exploring even more exhilarating..

Thoughts? ^___^V

JDBArtist
Approved. I love your idea! Although it might get a little difficult to produce all the required animations... Then again, I need to check the documentation for Unity's Mechanim system (this could be a good opportunity for animation blending).

Tentative name of the proposed feature: "(enemy) perception".
As I imagine this feature more on a "type to type case" than an overall skill I hesitate to call it either skill or ability as it'd lead to waaaay too many entries - might want to keep this seperate, perhaps in an enemy encyclopedia that updates itself according to the amount of information gathered. ^^

Xero

Re: Enemy Health Bar

Postby Xero » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:11 pm

It sounds cool, but I can't quite imagine how do you want the HP bar to look like when you are going through the process of "research" of the monster...

You start being able to judge their remaining health; the health bar is either a dark green, yellow or red.

Finally, after killing more than a hundred of them - you see the health bar in all it's splendour.

What I'd expect, from this explanation, is to see the bar full all the time and have the colour change when somewhere around certain percentage of HP left, and then reduce this inaccuracy as you battle the monster again and again. How close am I?

On the other hand, why do we need any HP bars at all?
In one of the other posts there is something about making this game realistic, and well... You don't see HP bar above your [insert your pet], do you?
------------------------------------------------
There is no death, there is Respawn in 10 seconds.

Hanataro

Postby Hanataro » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:51 pm

Xero wrote:What I'd expect, from this explanation, is to see the bar full all the time and have the colour change when somewhere around certain percentage of HP left, and then reduce this inaccuracy as you battle the monster again and again. How close am I?

pretty darn close ;)
first you don't have any information bar mob name if it's an event boss. after defeating a certain amount of those monsters you'll be able to judge roughly how much health points it has and get an indication when it's about to be defeated. with a rising amount of kills, that accuracy will increase accordingly.

Xero wrote:On the other hand, why do we need any HP bars at all?
In one of the other posts there is something about making this game realistic, and well... You don't see HP bar above your [insert your pet], do you?

funny you'd ask:
health bars are rather important to properly manage a fight especially in multiplayer games. I don't think folks would thank us for leaving them out.
I'm a fan of making things somewhat realistic - it can get tedious, though. :P

Xero

Postby Xero » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:51 am

Health bars are rather important to properly manage a fight especially in multiplayer games. I don't think folks would thank us for leaving them out.

Sure, in fights that will require strategy like dungeon bosses or something similar, HP bar is definitely important and I see nothing wrong with showing it there. For ex. the Floor 1 boss from SAO that changed attack patterns when at certain HP - without knowing when it's gonna happen, it can be devastating, especially in perma-death game.

But when fighting normal monsters in "overworld" you can use other ways to show that you're hurting the monster - limping, heavy breathing, slower attacks, easy knockdowns... It's an extra work for animators but I'd love to see it that way.
------------------------------------------------
There is no death, there is Respawn in 10 seconds.

Ansoni

Postby Ansoni » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:08 pm

So when I use to play Black Desert Online this is exactly how the health system works. (Give or take)

Xero wrote:Sure, in fights that will require strategy like dungeon bosses or something similar, HP bar is definitely important and I see nothing wrong with showing it there. For ex. the Floor 1 boss from SAO that changed attack patterns when at certain HP - without knowing when it's gonna happen, it can be devastating, especially in perma-death game.

In a perma-death game, things change a lot. Peoples mindsets change and the way you go about your day changes. I think this health bar not showing exactly the mobs HP is a great idea and worked really well in BDO. In terms of the boss fights, this goes back to what I was saying.
People are not going to treat boss fight the same in a perma-death scenario. There has to be a lot of preparation involved for example, discovering the bosses attack patterns, weapon type, weaknesses. This will all have to be done before the boss fight is attempted and this information may be obtainable via quests or even getting a raid party together to examine the mechanics. Health Bar or not, its about knowing what to do at the right time, even if its not triggered at a HP% mark.

Now what I think we should do!
I think having HP bars only show color of the mobs health should be for every mob. We should introduce a skill that allows players to examine for a short amount of time the health of the mob. Do this enough on 1 mob and you will learn what the mob will look like compared to how much health it has. Once all information is gathered you will always see the health bar in all its glory.
With this information you can teach other players the information and then they can now see the health bar. See were i am going with this. This could be an extra step in obtaining information about the boss before the boss is attempted.
アンソニ
ImageImage

Return to “Systems”